Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vi elsker Danskerne {We Love The Danes}

Two years ago, 20 students from Denmark came to NBHS to "have an American educational experience" for two weeks.  I was lucky enough to get to know these kids, and I have so enjoyed having them in my class. Their observations, thoughts, and perspectives were always welcomed - and added so much to our class discussions.  I wrote about that experience back then on this blog.  Read it here.
The past two weeks, we have been lucky enough to welcome a new group of 20 Danish kids to our school.  And I have been lucky enough to have most of these kids in my third period WHAP class each day.  Not unlike two years ago, it has been an incredible experience to have these kids here.

They bring an open mind, enthusiasm, and energy to our school.
Today was our last day with the Danes.  We listened to Young Turks ( the Rod Stewart song that I introduced to the class during a lesson on reform in the Ottoman Empire.  My students have taken a particular liking to this song and now it has become a bit of a thing.  So much so that they turned the Danes on to it.).  Then we captured and released the mouse that had eluded us for two days.  After this, we competed in a dress-up relay race with mixed teams of Danes and Americans.  It was pretty amazing, and hopefully we created memories that will stretch to northern Europe, and last a lifetime.
It is hard to say what specific aspect of the Danes that my students enjoy the most - but overall they seem to just enjoy the new energy that it brings to the class.

Do we learn more when they Danes are here?  Yes, but it is not textbook learning.  We learn that our American experience is sometimes unique, and sometimes part of a larger human experience.  So I fully believe that when my students spend time, and build relationships with kids their age from Europe it helps all of us understand the ties that bind us together.
It is my hope that my students gain a greater curiosity about the lives of their new friends, and how this world can seem simultaneously so huge, and so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...