Friday, May 9, 2014

College {UNCG}

I am a believer in public school.  It makes sense really, because I am a product, participant, and paid employee of the North Carolina public school system.  But school has always been a huge part of my life. My Grandmother was a public school teacher, as was my Mother.  I have lived my life according to the academic calendar continuously since I was 5 years old. As a student I always enjoyed school, and I continue to enjoy school as a teacher.  

This past Wednesday I had to spend some time in Greensboro, NC, and had the opportunity to visit my alma mater of UNC-Greeensboro, which is always cause for a week of reflection on the role that school plays in my life.

As far as my education goes -  I am still thankful that my 18 year old self chose to attend UNCG. I met inspirational friends there, learned, and grew so much. Most importantly, I met my wife while there. I loved UNCG, it had everything...except the mountains.   So almost immediately after I graduated, I moved to Asheville - and now I rarely get back to UNCG.

And now every time I return to UNCG, I am awestruck by its beauty - it just looks like a ..well..college.  There are lots of green spaces/quads.  All of the buildings are brick, and beautiful (Georgian architecture). The landscaping is top notch, with fountains and old trees in abundance. It is a great place to spend one's collegiate years, and I always jump at the chance to sing its praises.  On this particular visit - I could not stop taking pictures.  It made for a great day, rife with great feelings. 

It also makes me excited for my current students, as many of them are about to embark on their college adventures.  They are making tough decisions about where to go, how to pay, and what to pursue in these final months of school. Like my experience at UNCG, I hope that they too find a place that brings them happiness, and the opportunity to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...