Friday, March 14, 2014

The Greatest History Project...Ever.

I assigned my students to write, illustrate, and put together a children's history book on how to build an empire.  They had to use real life examples from historical empires to explain their reasoning. In addition, it had to cover social, political, and economic aspects of empire building. Almost every book that student groups turned in was exceptional. 
But one particular group of students literally accomplished the task...yet made it out of two (fully functional) skateboards.
These students are to be applauded for using history assignments to push the envelope and engage creativity. I hope that I showed them how much I appreciate their initiatives. 
But will their success on this assignment give them confidence and passion throughout their adult lives to continue creative endeavors?
I hope so. But either way, they made a book out of skateboards, which is totally gnarly- dude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...