Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Teaching and Learning {through the camera lens}

Chicago Field Trip Photo, Spring 2014
I took my first photography class in the 1994 school year. I had planned much of my senior year of high school around this particular class, due to my excitement. I decided NOT to take AP European history that year, so that I could dedicate two periods of every school day towards learning the art of photography.


It is a decision that I am grateful for making, because seeing the world  through a camera lens has enriched my life beyond measure. My teacher, Ms. Jones was one of the greatest teachers of my life.  She was creative, personable, and a great photographer.  We spent 3 hours a day learning about composition, darkroom methods, and how to use a manual camera.  We started the class by making our own pinhole cameras, and working to develop our first photographs.  Seeing my own pictures develop, taken with a camera that I made - was a revelation for me.

My favorite moments of that class were the photo field trips.  Just for the opportunity to find photographs in new environments, she took us to the NC Zoo, downtown Winston-Salem, etc. As a traveler, those trips have shaped my inherit lust for new places, and photographs.  These photography trips helped motivate me to create big field trip for my students - where we can have an opportunity to experience new places. And with the advent of digital photography, and the
 accessibility of InstagramVSCOcam, and other such photography apps - all of the students are constantly taking photographs anyway.  Plus, we have simplified, and moved the darkroom skills to the iPhone - and it is amazing.  As a result, most all of us walk around with a camera (and a darkroom) constantly in hand.  It allows for more photographs, and this constant access encourages us to see the world with new eyes - 
Grove Arcade, downtown Asheville

As a teacher, I learned so much from Ms. Jones and that photography class.  Mostly, I learned that great teaching is truly about instilling curiosity, passion, and enough chops to be able to pursue it. She accomplished that with me, and I have seen the world through a camera lens most of the time since.

So I am grateful for everything about photography, as it continues to help me appreciate and find the beauty in my everyday surroundings.  But it also allows for my students to have a tool for inspiration, while trying to better understand their world. 

Thanks for lighting the fire, Ms. Jones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...