Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Visit to Dachau {Vlog}

Travelling to Germany this past summer with Go Global NC was truly an amazing experience.

As I am teaching about the Nazi era of German history (in my American History II course) for the first time since my return, it is cause for reflection.
One of the greatest gifts from the trip was that each of us (teachers) were required to either, A. write a reflective blog post for a certain day, or B. record a video blog entry (Vlog).

Being an avid blogger (written), I decided to try my hand at a Vlog.  Luckily, I recorded my Vlog immediately after visiting the Nazi Concentration Camp of Dachau.  It was the most emotional experience I had while in Germany, and I am pleased that I was able to reflect on it for posterity.

Per their website, "On March 22, 1933, a few weeks after Adolf Hitler had been appointed Reich Chancellor, a concentration camp for political prisoners was set up in Dachau. This camp served as a model for all later concentration camps and as a "school of violence" for the SS men under whose command it stood. In the twelve years of its existence over 200.000 persons from all over Europe were imprisoned here and in the numerous subsidiary camps. 41,500 were murdered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...