Thursday, June 22, 2017

Deutschland Dispatch #1: Why Germany?

Why travel to Germany?

On day one, sitting in the Newark airport, looking at pictures of my two boys at the pool - I confess that I am struggling to remember why I chose to leave for ten days, and travel to Germany. As I have never been away from my family for this length of time, it stings. But I will push on, because man I love to travel. I love it all: the moving sidewalks, bad food, security weirdness- it is my jam.

So, Why am I going on the trip anyway?

 1. Because William Faulkner says “the past is never dead. It Isn't even past.”  To understand our world, we have to live it. What we are experiencing today will tomorrow be the past, so we must drink deep. Traveling to Germany is a huge step in that effort.

2. To teach it , we have to model it. It is my hope that my students see the world as something amazing to explore. At the core, I intend to return to my classroom with a fresh experience that I can share with my students.

3.  I have taught for 17 years. At this point, it is crucial that I consistently find new catalysts for inspiration. Never one to rest on my laurels, this trip is already turning my gears. Meeting so many of these great teachers from across NC, and seeing a new country is just the ticket to help me grow as an educator.

So here's to Deutschland!!  And here's to growth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

What is Punk Rock Pedagogy?

The most valuable preparation that I ever received for teaching history in a public high school was from punk rock bands.  Growing up in Win...